How to Install a Car Battery
When it’s time to replace a car battery, Virden/Birtle drivers know they can get it reliably done at Virden Mainline Motors. But if you want to do it yourself, here’s how to install a car battery at home in Virden.
Car Battery Installation Steps
- Begin with the engine turned off and the parking brake activated. Open the hood and locate the battery. First loosen the nut connecting the black cable (negative cable) from the battery using a wrench. Specific battery wrenches or pliers can make the job easier.
- Once the nut is loosened, twist and pull the cable off. If it’s stuck, don’t use a screwdriver or another tool to pry it off. This can cause damage to the battery. Contact our service center for assistance.
- Using the same steps, remove the red battery cable from the positive terminal.
- The battery hold-down clamp keeps the battery from moving around in the engine. Loosen then remove it.
- At this point, the battery is ready to be removed. Take it out, but be careful to use both hands. The battery is heavy, and dropping it could cause an unsafe leak.
- Remove any corrosion that might be in the battery tray or hold-down clamp. Use a baking soda and water solution or a battery cleaning product.
- Take a wire brush and clean off the battery cable connectors with the same cleaning product.
- Now you’re ready to install the new battery. Place it in the battery tray and tighten the hold-down clamp.
- If you have anti-corrosion solution, spray it on the positive and negative terminal of the new battery before connecting. This can help prevent corrosion and extend the battery life.
- Attach the battery cables to the battery terminals, first connecting the red cable, then the black cable.
- Double check the connections to make sure they’re secure, then try to move the battery to ensure it won’t move.
- Start the car. If you have any issues, consult with the Birtle battery experts at Virden Mainline Motors.
Let Virden Mainline Motors Replace Your Car Battery!
If you’re asking, “Who can do a car battery installation near me?” in Oak Lake or Elkhorn, Virden Mainline Motors is the answer! Our parts department often has specials on car batteries whether you install it yourself or let our service centre do it for you. You can even check out more features like how often to rotate your tires and how to check your transmission.